Heartbeat disappears but found again before D&C

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Heartbeat disappears but found again before D&C

Postby misdiagnosed » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:31 pm

Originally posted by eleanorej 2/18/2005
-----------------------------------------------

Here's my story:
This has been a stressful pregnancy so far. My progesterone levels are pretty much non-existant, so I've had to take progesterone suppositories the whole time. At 6 weeks (two weeks ago), we did an early ultrasound, and there was a tiny embryo, with a brilliant heartbeat, clear as day. They said the embryo was a little smaller than they'd expect, but otherwise seemed fine. A week later, I had some spotting, so they had me come in for another ultrasound. The embryo was the same size as before (so it was a week 5 size when it should have been 7 weeks) and there was NO heartbeat. The doctor I was with is part of a very woman-centered practice that includes midwifery. They always explain everything that's going on, and always make sure you can see the ultrasound screen. So I knew what a heartbeat looked like, and I could tell last week that there was no heartbeat visible. Both the doctor and I just stared at it for a long time. She and the whole staff were very compassionate- it seemed pretty clear that a miscarriage was imminent, given the spotting, the too-small embryo, and the lack of a heartbeat. She supported my desire to miscarry naturally at home. So I waited a week, expecting to start cramping and bleeding at any time. But instead, I still felt pregnant. My morning sickness was getting WORSE. I couldn't figure it out. But I was so depressed about the miscarriage that I just couldn't take it, so two days ago I called and told them I was ready for a D&C. They said OK, but that I should come in for one more checkup on Thursday and they'd do the D&C on Friday. So yesterday, my doctor did another ultrasound. We were both totally stunned to see an 8-week sized embryo, with its little heart just beating away. She didn't have a good explanation for what we saw the week before- but I saw it too. My only theory is that maybe there were two embryos and one didn't make it, and the healthy one was hiding. Who knows? I'll take it as a miracle. Everyone in the doctor's office was giddy- they said they had never had a "miscarriage" turn back into a baby before.

I just had to share my story of our miracle- apparently they do happen. And misdiagnosis can happen, even with the most compassionate and experienced doctors. So if you still feel pregnant after a "miscarriage" is diagnosed, be sure to get one more ultrasound before you decide to get a D&C. I'm so glad I did. :heart:
Last edited by misdiagnosed on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

Postby LisaJ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:12 pm

Hi eleanorj,

I was just referred to your story by kay and lovinmom. I was just told today (i should be about 8.5 almost 9 wks) no heartbeat after seeing a heartbeat 16 days ago. They said there was some development but nothing for maybe 4-5 days. I hope all is going well for you know, I would love to hear. I have had 2 previous miscarriages (my story is under waiting to miscarry after seeing heartbeat). Just wondering how things are going.
Best Wishes,
Lisa
LisaJ
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby KW » Sun May 08, 2005 12:55 pm

Eleanor-

Your story gives me hope. You can read my story under KW from May 7, 2005. I am now waiting to either miscarry or carry on with pregnancy. Another u/s next week will tell for sure what God has in store for me.
Thank you!

Congrats!

...KW
KW
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

this is exactly what I needed to hear today!

Postby brightonwoman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:19 pm

I have had two miscarriages--14.5 weeks (natural, but lots of bleeding, ER etc) and 13.5 weeks (No heartbeat, then u/s showed baby at less than 10 weeks, so I did D&C)
This pregnancy was a little bit of a surprise, as I had taken a bit of a break from really trying...wasn't on supplements/vitamins etc. EArly u/s on 7/8/05 showed 5w5d (based on charted ovulation I expected 7w3d) but we saw a heartbeat, so I figured that somehow I got pg at an odd time in my cycle.
The doctor wanted to do another u/s at about 7w to confirm dates and to see if things seemed to be develoing normally...we did a u/s yesterday 7/22. I expected it to say 7w5d, based on the first u/s, but it said 8w3d, which leads me to think that my first dates were pretty good after all! However, we could not see a heartbeat. The doctor took one look at the screen, and asked if I wanted to schedule a D&C. (Needless to say I will not return to this Doctor, event hough I hvae liked him up to this point!)

I FEEL pg. I still have all the symptoms (morning sick like crazy!). With my last miscarriage though I was morning sick even after the baby died...so I don't know. DH is a wreck over it, and believes dr knows what he's talking about. I just can't take it at that though--dead babies do not grow!!! This baby is clearly growing--even ahead of 'schedule'--so how is not being able to see a heartbeat definitive?! (and at 8w with a tilted uterus!)

I am havign anothre u/s next week at a different place with a differnt tech. I hope to see a heartbeat then. Regardless though, I don't want to do a D&C...I've miscarried both ways, and natural has it's scares (when it's late) but this isn't late, and it's so much better than the D&C. At least when I miscarried naturally I got to hold my baby--tiny though he was.
brightonwoman
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Update- my "miscarriage" is now 5 months old

Postby eleanorej » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:38 am

I just wanted to post again to let you all know how my story turned out. Things continued to be exciting throughout the pregnancy- I had a car accident at 4 months, my husband and I moved at 6 months, and the baby ended up being very stubbornly breech which resulted in a C-section... but you know what? She's here, she's OK, and I just feel so fortunate. Hooray for happy endings- may all your stories end so. Here's a pic of my little miracle:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ejewel/pict1987.jpg
eleanorej
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:08 pm

eleanore,
Oh, I'm so glad you posted your happy ending here!!! What a darling cutie pie!!! Just gotta love those cheeks!!!! I'm sure she gets that all the time!!! what's her name and what was her due date and actual birth date, and I'll add you to our list of preggos and their due dates with your baby's name and birthdate! Good to hear she and you are doing well!!!
They tell me my baby is breech right now, but I'm only at 20 wks, so hopefully he/she'll turn before then! Blessings, Cyndi
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby prayin4you » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:42 pm

Thank you so much for your story. Mine is similar.....at least I hope. After three weeks of being told I had a blighted ovum they finally found my baby with a healthy strong heart. The next week a baby with no heartbeat. So, now I'm waiting two weeks until my next scan. I'm hoping my story will be similar to yours. I hope we will see a strong heartbeat again next scan. The waiting is so hard!
:H
prayin4you
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

9wks and still no mc

Postby boopster » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm so glad I read this story, it hits home, I'm going on 9wks, My first us was done at 6wks healthy hb my second one no hb and didn't grow any I'm now awaiting my third us on Fri. I hope I have a good out come like your story....I'm scared to go in, and not knowing what way to take, pill or d and c. I'm not ready to make that call... :*(
Trying for over 2yrs. Finally got a Jan. baby due. 2 previous mc and 1 more possibly??
boopster
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lesliej » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm really glad I found this forum, and I'm particularly glad to hear your story, Eleanor. I'm in pretty much the same boat. I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago (at about 7 weeks since LMP), and saw what I thought looked like a good hearbeat. My doctor said at the time that the embryo was smallish, and he thought my due date would end up being later than estimated according to LMP, but that didn't bother me because I know I ovulated late. Then I went back yesterday for another ultrasound, and my regular doctor wasn't there, but his partner was, and she couldn't find the hearbeat. She sent me to have blood work, and told me to come back next week for another ultrasound. It's good to hear that someone's been through that, and has a beautiful baby! I have a tilted uterus, and I didn't even know that could make it harder to find the heartbeat until I went online, and it also seems that on this ultrasound, there were 2 yolk sacs, so I think it's possible that one baby was "hiding". Anyway, I'm holding out hope for now. Thanks!
lesliej
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dyemom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok, now I'm doubting my agreement to a decision I made just earlier today... I am 9 weeks today. Two previous m/c- one at 15 wks, the last one at 6 1/2 weeks. I have a tilted uterus and am taking progesterone twice a day.
Went in at 5 1/2 wks for 1st u/s- saw a yolk sac, all looked ok. Had 2nd u/s at 7 wks- heart rate was 90 bpm; dr. said he was concerned b/c it was low so scheduled another u/s for 5 days later (which I hear should have incr by about 3.3 bpm each day)...instead, it dropped to 86. Met w/ my dr 2 days later where he told me I had a "very low chance of sustaining pregnancy", scheduled last u/s for 9 wks (today) and there was no heartbeat and hadn't grown at all over the last 8 days. He told me to stop taking my progesterone. And I agreed to do a D&E first thing on Monday morning. After reading your stories...I am more confused than ever???? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dyemom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Dyemom, you should always be certain this is indeed a miscarriage before ending a pregnancy. That said, the heartrate was slow two different times and there was no growth. If there are no complications and you need to wait a bit longer for your own peace of mind, that is your decision. You can always ask for an ultrasound before the procedure as well.
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare: http://www.squidoo.com/misdiagnosedblightedovum
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks: http://www.squidoo.com/firstmisdiagnosedmiscarriage

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages: http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.blogspot.com/

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: http://www.squidoo.com/IVFMisdiagnosedMiscarriage

and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest:
http://www.squidoo.com/blighted-ovum-nine-weeks

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby dyemom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Kay, thanks so much for your speedy reply. How do I know if I'm going to miscarry for sure?? I hear you about the low heart rate twice...that's what made me agree to do the D & E, but then I've read alot about having a tilted uterus and I also have had 3 different techs do my u/s each time. I can't decide if I should stop taking progesterone, or continue to take it and see what happens?
Thanks in advance.
dyemom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, generally, if a heartbeat is not seen during the first trimester but the baby is seen, waiting one week will generally confirm what is happening. If you have no complications, you could ask your doctor to schedule the procedure a week or so out and just have an ultrasound before the procedure to verify.

(((hugs))) I am really sorry you are going through this.
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks: http://www.squidoo.com/firstmisdiagnosedmiscarriage

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages: http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.blogspot.com/

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: http://www.squidoo.com/IVFMisdiagnosedMiscarriage

and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest:

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Heartbeat disappears but found again before D&C

Postby adnilemmdg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 pm

I am currently in the same situation, i have had to take progesterone injections twice a week because my levels were low. i was 7 weeks 1 day when went in for an u/s and my babys heartbeat was strong, i went in 2 days ago because i had some spotting and they could not find my babys heartbeat. i couldn't take this news and decided to go to the ER to confirm, they took labs and everything came out normal but again they could not find my babys heartbeat. Dr pretty much told me to go home and wait until i miscarry.this story really gives me hope that my baby is going to be ok. E> E>
adnilemmdg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Adnilmmdg, just moved another story to the misdiagnosed board. She was told the baby and heartbeat disappeared. Found them today! Praying for you!

Kay

Postby Melltimejr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi,

My wife was just diagnosed with a miscarriage today. I'm sure that I'm simply in denial, but I wanted to post our story.
We had a vaginal ultrasound two days ago and we're notified that the baby was right around 8 weeks. Nice strong heartbeat. The next evening my wife experienced bleeding, bright red, enough to soak through her underwear. We called the doc and scheduled another ultrasound, just in case.
Unfortunately, that ultrasound, this morning, showed no heartbeat. The doc was definitive that it was a miscarriage, and a d&c is scheduled for tomorrow.
I have deep feelings of denial, and "what if". Any possibility? Or should I simply face the facts? Thanks.
Melltimejr
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby goldonline13 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Putting on shut down that will surrounding the give posesses a much less expensive option.
fut coins
cheap fifa 14 coins
goldonline13
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories