Tilted uterus, high HCGs, cramping but no baby by Kimpbrakke

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Tilted uterus, high HCGs, cramping but no baby by Kimpbrakke

Postby misdiagnosed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:05 pm

Originally posted by Kimpbrakke 11/4/2004
--------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I just wanted to post my story on this website to give those of you who need it, some hope. I am 7 weeks, 3 days along.

Last Tuesday, I was having a small amount of brown discharge. I also had some cramping (not just on one side, but all over) and a fever and the chills. This continued into Wednesday, so I gave my doctor a call. She thought it would be beneficial for me to come in, so I did. When I got to the doctor, she did a vaginal ultrasound, and I was so disappointed to see an empty sac--with nothing in it. She was able to locate the ovarian cyst (about 4 cm) that is supposed to be there to protect the pregnancy, but by looking at the ultrasound, she thought I was only 4-5 weeks along. I knew this was not true b/c my husband and I didn't try for too many days--so I knew that my timing could be only a couple days, but not weeks off.

She was very discouraged with my ultrasound, but insisted that we do a blood test to see where my HCG levels were at. They ended up coming back at 66,000, which was very normal and good for 6 weeks. She was encouraged by my blood work, and explained to me that sometimes it is just very hard to get a good look at the baby early on in pregancy.

I went back to the doctor on Friday, but in the meantime on Thursday--I spent the entire day on the web reading and trying to figure out what was going on with me. The most helpful information I came across was the fact that if you have a tilted uterus--it can be very hard to get a good vaginal ultrasound until you are about 8-10 weeks along. My doctor has told me that my uterus is EXTREMELY tilted, so I was happy to read that information.

When I went back in on Friday afternoon, they took my blood and I waited in the office until the results came in. My doctor called me back and said that my HCG leves had raised to 90,000--they had not doubled, but she said they were high to begin with in the first place, and she was very happy that they had gone up. At that point--she asked if I wanted to do another ultrasound--OF COURSE I DID!!

For this ultrasound, I made sure I had a completely empty bladder (the first one my bladder was pretty full b/c I had had so much water that day--it was filling up pretty fast). The second she started the ultrasound, we were able to see our little baby growing inside the sac! He/she was WAY in the back, and my doctor had the ultrasound probe (is that the right word?) all the way tilted towards the back to get a good angle. We were even able to see his/her little heart beating! It was so amazing. She said the baby looks good, and everything is developing well. He/she was just hiding during the first ultrasound!

I just wanted to share my story with you. I was so discouraged and upset last week, and it was from stories like mine--that I found hope.

I continue to run a slight fever (about 99.5) but my doctors office told me that with all the changes going on in my body right now, that is not uncommon to run a slight temperature. I attribute the brown discharge to the fact that if I was not pregnant, I was due to get my period last week. The discharge only lasted 2 days, and I have not seen it since.

Please contact me at kimbrakke@hotmail.com if you ever need to talk! I hope my story has helped you! Please do not give up hope--like I said and you have probably heard--if you have a tilted uterus--it can make it very hard to see the baby until 8-10 weeks.

Good luck to you all, my thoughts are with you.
Kim
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

Postby leah p » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 pm

You have given me so much hope. By my dates I am 7 weeks pregnant. My dates are definately correct. On tuesday I had a tiny bit of brown blood that was so small it didn't even make it to my knickers it was only there on the toilet papper. Had an ultrasound on wed no heartbeat no fetal pole just a yolk sack consistent with 5 weeks 6 days which is a whole week behind my dates. I am waiting for doctor to call with results from blood test. I have had bad cramping since the ultrasound which stopped yesterday started again last night and has now stopped again. I dont know if I have a tilted uterus but I am assuming someone would have told me as this is my fourth baby. My pregnancy symptoms stopped on tuesday but started again today worse than they were before. I have fingers crossed and will have to wait it out. I have another ultrasound in two weeks if nothing happens before that. :H
leah p
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby KimFreeze » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:37 am

I too, have a tilted uterus. I had my tubes tied in 98. In 07 we had them reversed. Since then, I have had 9 miscarriages. We decided to do IVF. I am now pregnant. But this week (10/21/09), when I was 6wk 2d, we had our ultrasound. It showed the gestational sac, and yolk sac. The doctor seemed like this may be another MC for me. Let me step back and say that we paid extra to have the genetic testing done on all my embryos, which were all great. Anyways, the doc said he saw no fetal pole but wants to do another US on tues. After reading everything, I think we will wait until at least 10 weeks before we consider doing the D and C. I would love to hear other thoughts! Thanks
KimFreeze
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Kim. How did that next ultrasound go. Generally, you should wait a week between ultrasounds. Fortunately, most women will see the baby about a week after the yolk sac is seen if the pregnancy is viable. I hope you got better news.
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare: http://www.squidoo.com/misdiagnosedblightedovum
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks: http://www.squidoo.com/firstmisdiagnosedmiscarriage

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages: http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.blogspot.com/

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: http://www.squidoo.com/IVFMisdiagnosedMiscarriage

and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest:
http://www.squidoo.com/blighted-ovum-nine-weeks

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: at 7 weeks 1 day, seen sac but no baby.is this normal?

Postby Aysem » Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 am

hi Kim,

reading your story has given me hope to stay strong.

i am 7 weeks and 4 days along. this is my second pregnancy but unfortunatly i miscarried my first baby at 16 weeks due to a weak cervix.

i have been diagnosed with PCOS for 7 years or more and cannot get pregnent naturally. i have been taking clomifene with both of my pregnancy.

with my second pregnancy i was called in to a vaginal u/s at 5 weeks 5 days. the consultant could only see the sac but nothing more. he assured me that i came in to early and booked me in 10 days to see him again.

when i went for the second vaginal u/s i was 7 weeks and 1 day. i was very scared and was praying everything was ok. when i was called in,the consultant said that yet again that he could only see the sac but no baby. i asked him to check if there was any heart beat but he said because there was no baby, there will be no heart beat. he did not mention if i have a tilted uterus or not. he told me that i had a bligthed ovum.

i ended up crying my heart out, i was seen by a midwife and was taken to another room to calm down. she explained to me that there was two options, that i could wait to miscarry or have a D&C. i was very upset to decide what to do and told her i would call her back when i made my decision.

until my sister researched about the bligthed ovum, i was certain i had it. today reading the stories, i was much hopeful and decided to call the midwife and ask if i could have another vaginal u/s when i am 10/11 weeks. the reason for this is because, for the 7 weeks that i have been pregnent, i have not had any brown discharge or cramping (touch wood).

what upset me was the way the midwife told me that she was certain that there was no baby and i should decide what to do there and then? she did not offer any other u/s or told me to wait, not even to do a blood test.......

my sac measures 23mm and my lmp was 06 april 2011. i dont have the same pregnancy symtoms as my first pregnancy, but i do have sore breasts, on&off morning sickness and sometimes constipation. :sos
--------------------------------------------------
Aysem
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories